A march through Brixton, South London today following on from Wednesday’s demonstration at the Nigerian High Commimssion has kicked off a two-week campaign by the Movement For Justice By Any Means Necessary against British charter flight deportations, used to forcibly expel migrants en masse.
The campaign is part of an international action in Nigeria, Jamaica and Britain to end the British government’s mass deportation charter flights to Nigeria, Ghana, Jamaica, Pakistan and war-torn Afghanistan. The campaign says that:
Our friends, relatives, neighbours, fellow students and work colleagues are snatched, detained, then shackled and flown to countries many have not seen for decades, where they are dumped like cargo at an airport. Charter flights deport people who have built lives in the UK, been here most of their lives, have parents, partners and children here, students who have not finished their courses, people with serious health problems and others who are carers to elderly & disabled relatives.
This is an over-reaching, racist policy hitting individuals & families that never thought they had an ‘immigration problem.’ It creates more enemies for the Government, so it’s vulnerable when our communities act to stop it.
Brilliant march in Brixton today to Stop Charter Flights building the fight to resist immigration raids and the movement we need to win. We march today, we march tomorrow and we keep marching until we WIN!”
We are calling on all communities and all anti racist and migrant rights organisations to take action. There will be demonstrations in local communities, at the embassies, we will also target Titan Airways (who provide the planes for these modern day slave ships) and Tascor (who provide the ‘escorts’) – we want any other ideas you have for exposing the truth about mass deportation charter flights and demanding that governments internationally refuse to co-operate.
If we act boldly, collectively and internationally we can stop this charter flight and break the racist, unjust policy of mass charter flight deportations!
The action will continue at sites in London, Cambridge and Newcastle:
- Tuesday 17 January 2017, 4-5pm. Demonstration against Mass Deportation. Jamaican High Commission, 1 Prince Consort Road, Kensington, London SW7 2BZ.
- Friday 20 January 2017, 1-2pm. Stop G4S Demonstration. G4S Office, Henley Road, Cambridge CB1 0ZZ.
- Saturday 21 January 2017, 12-3pm. March Against Charter Flights and their impact on communities in the UK. Peckham, London – organised by Movement for Justice.
- Saturday 21 January 2017, 2-4pm. Public campaigning Against Titan Airways & Tascor, Grey’s Monument, Blackett Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7.
- Saturday 25 January 2017, 11-1pm. March against University Collusion with the Home Office. SOAS, University of London, Thornhaugh Street, London WC1H OXG.
For updates keep an eye on the MFJBAMN Facebook page