An independent, radical co-op controlled by its volunteers, Freedom runs Britain’s oldest anarchist press and its largest bookshop. Freedom is the oldest continuous collective of its kind in the world and more on our history can be found here, as well as via the book A Beautiful Idea.
The Press is made up of three arms, which comprises:
What is currently the Freedom Journal was first published by Kropotkin and others in 1886 and remained in print for most of the next 125 years (minus a gap in 1932-1945), before being stopped as a regular production in March 2014 — though papers have been produced every year since.
The daily production of anarchist news and views has now moved to this website, and the Press brings out a 20-page free Journal twice yearly. We also maintain an email digest, (see end of page), flag articles on social media via Mastodon, Twitter and Facebook, maintain Facebook and Instagram pages for the bookshop and run a group for people who want to stay in touch.
- Writing for Freedom
- Finding back issues of print editions online libcom | Sparrows’ Nest | The Freedom Digital Archive
Freedom publishes a range of radical literature including classics from such anarchist heavyweights as Kropotkin, Malatesta, Rudolph Rocker, Alexander Berkman and Colin Ward, to the history of the Spanish revolution and the Makhnovist movement, as well as biographies on Zapata, Bakunin and Nechaev, George Orwell, Willliam Godwin and William Blake. In recent years the collective has begun reissuing and updating some of its classic titles, along with bringing out new works, and continues to be the oldest publishing house in the English-speaking world.
Trade orders come from Central Books, who offer 33 per cent stock discounts as standard. Postage is free within the UK, with £2.50 extra for orders from abroad — per order not per item. Freedom’s dedicated products page is here.
Freedom maintains the oldest and largest specialist anarchist bookshop in Britain. Alongside our own extensive back catalogue of classic works we stock thousands of books, newspapers and pamphlets on everything from history to sex, philosophy to workers’ struggles, fiction to anti- fascism, as well as the latest magazines, periodicals and newsletters from all the major anarchist and radical groups.
- You can find us at Angel Alley, 84b Whitechapel High Street, London E1 7QX.
- The alley is beneath the KFC sign near Aldgate East Tube station (Whitechapel Gallery Exit) — Hammersmith & City or District lines.
- The 25 and 254 buses stop at nearby Adler Street
- The shop is open 12-6pm Monday to Saturday, and 12-4pm on Sunday (we update on the Freedom Facebook group or Twitter account if this isn’t possible)
- Enquiries: admin (at) freedompress.org.uk
- Articles/letters: editor (at) freedompress.org.uk
- Bookshop: shop (at) freedompress.org.uk
- Distribution (trade orders): sales (at) freedompress.org.uk
The Freedom Building
The Freedom Building at 84b Angel Alley is held in trust for the anarchist movement by the Friends of Freedom Press. It is run and maintained by the groups currently inhabiting the building.